South Carolina Car Insurance Guide
Direct Auto Insurance is a leading provider of low cost car insurance in South Carolina and we encourage drivers who have been turned down by other South Carolina car insurance companies to apply for coverage with us. We also offer flexible payment plans that can be adjusted to coincide with your pay days 1 , as well as coverage options tailored to fit your needs. At Direct, you can get a free quote on affordable car insurance online, by phone, or in a nearby store.
Other insurance companies may refuse coverage for issues like a low credit score or a poor driving history. We think everyone deserves a second chance, which is why we work hard to get you the right insurance coverage at the best price possible even if you've had a few slip-ups in the past. 2
Where Can I Get the Lowest Priced Car Insurance in South Carolina?
Auto insurance rates will vary depending on several factors, including, but not limited to:
- Your personal driving history;
- The age, make, and model of the vehicle you want insured;
- The zip code you live in;
- And the level of coverage and limit amounts you select.
South Carolina Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
Every state has established minimum motor vehicle financial responsibility requirements. South Carolina requires drivers to carry liability insurance on vehicles registered in their name and to have proof of this insurance inside the vehicle at all times. Here are the state minimum requirements:
- Bodily Injury Liability : State law requires that you carry a minimum of $25,000 in coverage for injuries or death to any one person resulting from a single vehicle accident and a total of $50,000 for injuries or death to multiple persons involved in a single auto accident.
- Property Damage Liability : State law requires that you carry a minimum of $50,000 in coverage for damage to the property of other parties resulting from a single auto accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist : Motor vehicle law also requires Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage, which helps pay for the medical and related expenses you incur if you’re injured in a car accident and the driver who is at fault does not have liability insurance, cannot be identified, or in some states, does not have sufficient insurance to cover your claim.
Explanation of Coverages
Bodily Injury Liability (BIL): This provides coverage to pay for medical expenses and legal representation in the event that you (or another driver insured through your policy) cause bodily (physical) injury to another individual or individuals in the course of operating your vehicle. The coverage “limit” is the maximum dollar amount your insurer will pay for a single accident.
Property Damage Liability (PDL) : This provides coverage for damage to the property of another party while you (or another insured driver) are operating your vehicle. Payouts may be for damage to another vehicle or other property such as buildings, mailboxes, fences, and other nearby objects. The coverage “limit” is the maximum dollar amount the insurance company will pay in a single accident.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: This coverage helps pay for the medical and related expenses you incur if you’re injured in a car accident and the driver who is at fault does not have liability insurance, cannot be identified, or in some states, does not have sufficient insurance to cover your claim
What if I Fail to Carry the Minimum Car Insurance Coverage in South Carolina?
If you do not have the minimum auto coverage in South Carolina, the state will not allow you to register your vehicle. In addition, finance companies have their own set of minimum car insurance requirements, so if you plan to finance the vehicle, you will first need to obtain proof of insurance.
If you are caught driving without the required minimum insurance, you could face fines, license suspensions, and other penalties. At Direct, we offer low cost policies with instant proof of insurance so you can avoid these situations.
Other Direct Auto Product Offerings
At Direct, we deliver more than just the South Carolina minimum insurance requirements; we also offer a number of additional coverage options you may find helpful. If you are financing your vehicle, you will most likely be required to carry collision and comprehensive coverage to help pay for damage to your own vehicle. You may also want to consider motorcycle insurance, term life insurance, roadside assistance, and emergency protection coverage.
Visit our car insurance coverage page for further details on what we have to offer.
Have Further Questions?
If you have other questions, want to know more about purchasing car insurance in South Carolina, or would like a free quote for affordable car insurance, call us at 1-877-GO DIRECT (1-877-463-4732) or contact us online or in-person at one of our local South Carolina stores .
Florida Car Insurance Guide
Here's what you need to know about obtaining insurance in Florida.View Article