Floods. Hurricanes. Tornadoes. Once-in-a-lifetime thunderstorms. Such events can take a long time to recover from. If you’re a Direct Auto Insurance policyholder, we have a team in place to help you and your vehicle get back on the road sooner.
Direct Auto’s Catastrophe Response Team (CAT Team) responds to weather-related emergencies such as hurricanes, hailstorms, tornadoes, and floods to assess affected policyholders and their damage. The CAT Team is an extension of our claims vision: to respond at the right time and pay the right amount, so you can get back to your normal, everyday life as soon as possible.
Helpful Hurricane & Flood Tips
During a hurricane, it’s important to put the safety of you and your family first. Here are a few hurricane tips to keep you safe should you experience flooding.
- Don’t try to drive through standing water or streets that are flooded. You can never tell how deep the water is, and many deaths occur every year due to drivers attempting to drive through flooded areas. Contrary to what you might think, cars can be quickly swept away in fast moving flash floods.
- Park your car on high ground, if possible. If there is a flood threat, try to find higher ground to park your car. It may be in your yard or any other legal space to park, but try to avoid low-lying areas that are prone to flooding.
- Don't try to start your car if it has been flooded. Starting a flooded car can result in floodwater being sucked into the engine which can ruin the vehicle mechanically.
Inclement Weather Resources
If inclement weather is in the forecast for your area, make sure you’re prepared. Stay tuned to the local news, listen to evacuation warnings, and if possible, put together an emergency kit. The following resources will likely have the most up-to-date information and can advise you on the best safety practices for your area and the weather-related emergency at hand.
- Emergency Management Agencies
- The Weather Channel
- National Hurricane Center
- Ready.gov Hurricane Resources
- National Weather Service Flood Safety Tips
- How to Avoid Weather-Related Car Costs
File A Catastrophe Claim
If a weather-related emergency has occurred in your area, the CAT Team may already be in place. Call 1-877-GO-DIRECT to learn more. If you're ready to file a catastrophe claim for your vehicle, call 1-800-403-1077 or log into MyAccount and use our online portal. For all other catastrophe claims, please call 1-800-403-1077.