Tennessee recently approved a new law designed to reduce the number of uninsured drivers in the state. The new law will take effect on July 1, 2015, but some changes won’t be implemented until 2016 and later. Here's what you need to know about the changes:
- The Fine – Effective July 1, 2015 , the fine for being an uninsured driver increases from $100 to $300 (it’s a Class A Misdemeanor) .
- Towing – After January 1, 2016, police officers will be able to have your vehicle towed immediately if you don’t have proof of insurance.
- New Insurance Verification Program - Before January 1, 2017, Tennessee will implement a new online insurance verification program that will track down uninsured drivers through their vehicle registrations.
- Tag Renewal - You won't be able to renew your tags if the new verification system shows that the vehicle is uninsured until you provide proof of insurance and you may be subject to reinstatement fees.
- Other Penalties - Drivers found to be uninsured through the new verification system will face harsh penalties including up to $125 in coverage failure fees and suspension or revocation of the owner’s vehicle registration.
Thankfully, drivers who have and keep their auto insurance through Direct Auto Insurance meet the state's minimum coverage requirements . But having proof of that coverage at all times will be important. Remember to keep your proof of insurance card in your car and, if you’re a Direct policyholder, be sure to download the DirectDrive app so you always have digital access to your insurance ID.
*Material in these articles is for general information or entertainment purposes only. Direct General does not endorse and is not affiliated with any unaffiliated companies or apps that may be referenced in this article. Direct General is not responsible or liable for the availability of links to websites or resources, or for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available through these websites or resources. Any references to third party rates or products are subject to change without notice. Trademarks are property of their respective owners. Insurance is underwritten or administered by members of the Direct General Group, Nashville, TN. Cost may vary based on how you buy.